Frequently Asked Questions
What is Fleet Week?
Fleet Week is a United States Navy, United States Marine Corps and United States Coast Guard tradition. The public can take a guided tour of the ships. Often, Fleet Week is accompanied by military demonstrations and air shows such as provided by the Blue Angels. The first Fleet Week was celebrated in San Diego, California, during the 1935 California Pacific International Exposition.
The San Diego Fleet Week Foundation, a not-for profit organization, produces Fleet Week San Diego.
Fleet Week San Diego honors and celebrates the men and women of the military through public events that entertain and alliances that support and thank these heroes.
When is Fleet Week San Diego?
Fleet Week San Diego is September 8 – October 14, 2012. Join us in thanking our Sailors, Marines and Coastguardsmen for their services to our country by participating in 2012 Fleet Week San Diego events.
What is there there to do during Fleet Week?
There are activities and events for the entire family. Mark your calendar now and plan on attending Fleet Week events:
- Saturday, September 8, 2012
- Fleet Week Football Classic
- Tuesday, September 11, 2012
- Enlisted Recognition Luncheon
- Thursday, September 13, 2012
- Fleet Week All-Enlisted Golf Tournament
- Saturday & Sunday, September 15-16, 2012
- Fleet Week Sea Festival
- Wednesday, September 19, 2012
- Fleet Week Foundation/SDMAC Breakfast
- Thursday, September 20, 2012
- Coronado Village Car Procession
- Saturday & Sunday, September 22-23, 2012
- Fleet Week Coronado Speed Festival
- Saturday, September 29, 2012
- MCRD Boot Camp Challenge
- September 2012
- Fleet Week Baseball Game
- Friday, Saturday & Sunday, October 12-14, 2012
- MCAS Miramar Air Show
Where are Fleet Week events held?
Fleet Week events are held across the county. You can find the location of an event that you are interested in on our Fleet Week event map at www.fleetweeksandiego.org.
How do I buy tickets for the events?
Go to the Fleet Week website www.fleetweeksandiego.org. You also can buy tickets at the door for the Fleet Week Coronado Speed Festival and the Miramar Air Show.
Will we be able to tour naval ships?
Yes. A variety of naval vessels will be open for tours at both the Fleet Week Sea Festival and Fleet Week Speed Festival.
For Fleet Week Sea Festival (click here).
For Fleet Week Coronado Speed Festival (click here)
What ships are participating in 2012?
Ships participating in the Fleet Week Sea Festival:
- USS PRINCETON (CG-59)
- USS SAN DIEGO (LPD-22)
- USS WAYNE E. MEYER (DDG-108)
- USCGC MORGENTHAU (WHEC-722)
Ships participating in the Fleet Week Coronado Speed Festival:
USS HALSEY (DDG-97)
USS MAKIN ISLAND (LHD-8)
USS SPRUANCE (DDG-111)
- Ships subject to change by United States Navy
Is there an age requirement to visit the ships?
Are the ships handicapped accessible?
Are souvenirs available for purchase?
What items are not allowed on the ships?
The following items are prohibited, and will not be allowed onto the pier or into the event area:
- Food or drinks, including ice crests and coolers
- Pets (except service dogs for the disabled)
- Glass containers
- Guns, knives, clubs, or weapons of any kind
- Mace, pepper spray, spray cans or other defensive spray or chemicals
- Fireworks or explosives of any kind
- Flammable liquids
- Club weapons
- Illegal drugs and/or paraphenrnalia
- Camera tripods and cameras with lenses greater than 100MM
- Large backpacks, oversized camera bags, or large purses
- Skateboards or bicycles
- Gang related clothing
- Special consideration will be given to diaper bags that accompany small children
- Visitors found in posession of any prohibited items will not be granted entry to the controlled access area and law enforcement agencies will be notified.
How do I volunteer for Fleet Week events?
We have many opportunities for volunteers to be a part of the Fleet Week Sea Festival and the Fleet Week Coronado Speed Festival. Go to the Volunteer section of Fleet Week San Diego's website (click here) to print out a volunteer application. You can submit it via fax or mail.
How do I donate to Fleet Week San Diego?
The San Diego Fleet Week Foundation is a California Public Benefit Corporation, founded in 2001 as a non-profit under the provisions of section 501(c)(3) of the IRS code. Fleet Week San Diego relies entirely on the generosity of organizations and the American people to ensure that we have the people, equipment, and funds to accomplish our mission.
As a Public Benefit Corporation, the San Diego Fleet Week Foundation donates proceeds in excess of operating expenses from Fleet Week San Diego to charities that provide critical support to military families. Donation from corporations and individuals allow the foundation to honor and celebrate the men and women of the military through public events that entertain and alliances that support and thank these heroes.
You can select the donation option that is right for you at the Fleet Week San Diego website (click here).
How do I become a sponsor of Fleet Week San Diego?
Sponsorships are very important to Fleet Week San Diego and the success of its programs. It also is a wonderful way for sponsors to say thank you to our military community, which is large and integral part of the community and contributes significantly to the vitality of the region.
Sponsorships are available on a variety of levels, which can include your company name and/or logo are placed in our ads, mentioned in publicity, placed on promotional materials, and visible at events and in event programs. In addition, national industry standards show an approximate return in investment in our sponsorship to be tenfold. Sponsorship information can be found on the Fleet Week website (click here).
Please contact Alexandra Squires for more information at (619) 858-1545 or email@example.com.